ASSEMBLED ALUMNI WILL HONOR ELIOT ON 90TH BIRTHDAY

Was Responsible for Development of Graduate Schools and Elective System--Took Office at Age of 35

Representatives of the 45,000 Harvard alumni and leading citizens from all parts of the country will gather here in a public celebration on March 20 to pay tribute to President Eliot on his ninetieth birthday.

Although the arrangements are in the hands of the Harvard Alumni Association, a committee of students, headed by Charles Joseph Hubbard '24 of Boston, has been appointed to make plans for that part of the ceremony which will take place in the College Yard. The committee consists of the three Senior class Marshals, the President of the Student Council, the Presidents of the three lower classes, and a representative from each of the graduate and professional schools. The Citizens' Committee is now in the process of formation. Its membership, which will consist of many national figures, will be announced later.

Charles W. Eliot was President of the University for forty years--from 1869 to 1909; he was born in Boston in 1884, and graduated from Harvard in 1853. His election as President at the age of 35 was considered remarkable, both because of his youth and because he was a layman and scientist.

While President, Mr. Eliot led in the development of graduate schools and of the elective system in undergraduate work. The Harvard Medical School and the Harvard Law School largely grew to their present importance and influence under Mr. Eliot's administration. And within recent years the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration, founded in 1908, next to the last year of Mr. Eliot's term, has become one of the important professional schools.

Responsible for Higher Standards

The raising of the entrance requirements of universities, which has led to a corresponding raising of the standards of graduate schools, and the introduction of choice in entrance requirements, have had a nation-wide influence under President Eliot's leadership. As chairman of a committee of ten of the National Educational Association in 1890, he exerted a strong influence on secondary education throughout the country.

The membership of the Student Committee is as follows: C. J. Hubbard '24. First Marshal of the Senior class, chairman; B. McK. Henry '24, Second Senior Marshal; W. E. Crosby '24 of West Newton. Third Marshal; F. A. O. Schwarz '24, President of the Student Council; M. W. Greenough '26, President of the Junior Class, N. S. Howe '26, President of the Sophomore class the 1927 Freshman class President to be elected soon.

From the graduate and professional schools the following members have been appointed from the Law School. J. H. Douglas 31, from the Business School, Shaw Livermore 20 B: from the School of Architecture S. P. Moorehead 28 A, from the School of Landscape Architecture B. D. Williams3.S.1.A, from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. J. P. Baster 2d.2Q; from the Graduate School of Education E. R. Collier 3G. Ed of Cambridge; from the Theological School R.K. Starker; from the Medical School, C. P. Rhoids 4M.; and from the Dental School N. G. Newman Jr. 3D of Dorchester.