PRESERVING THE GRADUATES

The statistical comparison between undergraduate and graduate students with which Dr. Lee was wont to assure his Freshman Hygiene classes that Harvard College was a healthy domicile, was convincing, but its effect was gained largely by making a course of study in the graduate schools appear a veritable lottery with death.

To the hard-working law or business student these figures argued for an amelioration of assignments; but in fact they seem to indicate an unhealthy routine of life. That lack of a stimulus to proper exercise is a contributory factor is recognized by the third annual institution of competitive basketball schedules for graduate students.

The break between the continuous violent exercise of organized undergraduate athletics and the spasmodic exertions of business and professional life is sharp enough to lead to terrifying theories of "athletic hearts". And although that malady has been proved non-existent there is still abundant evidence of the disagreeable results of this abrupt change.

Theoretically the graduate student has an excellent opportunity to taper off his exercise to fit himself for the routine of professional life, but the formation of a habit of swinging dumbbells is not gladly acquired. Squash offers almost the only opportunity for interesting exercise; and squash facilities are limited. Extension of the system of competitive contest among graduate school teams, and possibly among those undergraduates who are not engaged in organized college activities, may prove the touchstone that will bring back the interest of undergraduate sport to the relatively inactive students of Law and Business.