DAILY CHAPEL MAY BE SHIFTED TO 9.45

P. B. H. President Strong for Change in Hour--Jameson's Statistics Show Average of 65 Worshippers

"Should the daily chapel hour be changed?" was one of the questions brought up at a recent Phillips Brooks House cabinet meeting. "No matter what the change is, one should be made," is the opinion of B. McK. Henry '24, president of the Phillips Brooks House.

The proposed innovation has been brought up because of the scant attendance at daily chapel. From statistics obtained from J. D. Jameson '24, chairman of the Chapel committee, a CRIMSON reporter has averaged the weekly attendance of the year and found it to be under 65. During the month of November, 1923, the average attendance was 68. The average in December was raised to over 75 due to the presence of the Rev. H. E. Fosdick, who conducted chapel during the second week. The attendance on the Sunday he preached jumped to 550, whereas on the previous Sunday it was 279. Partly on account of the zero weather the lowest average, one of 46, was made in February.

Only Theologions and Choir Attend

"The attendance now consists chiefly of divinity students and the choir," Henry told the reporter. "The only way it can be increased is by changing the hour, and I believe the most satisfactory hour would be at 7 o'clock in the evening."

Jameson, on the other hand, opposes any change. "The attendance cannot be increased by shifting the hour, for those who desire to go willingly make the effort to attend the 8.45 service. Those same men would attend chapel no matter when it is held, but there is no reason to believe that those who do not attend now would attend at any other time of day."

There were several members of the cabinet who presented a strong case for having chapel at 9.45 in the morning. This plan, however, necessitates having the first class begin at 8.45. The upholders of this plan argue that between 9.45 and 10 o'clock there would be an interval with nothing to do, and that many would occupy it by going to chapel. Such an elaborate change in the college schedule makes this proposition almost impossible, say its opponents.