A LAST CHORD

It is an axiom that no education, even though labelled with curious degrees and blue ribbons, is quite complete or well-rounded without at least a superficial acquaintance with the great composers of the past; and particularly at Harvard would a lack of such an acquaintance be inexcusable where the facilities of Music 4, supplemented by a large variety of other entertainments offer a unique opportunity for developing a genuine and intelligent appreciation. These other entertainments, incidentally, are largely supported through the generosity of interested alumni.

None, perhaps, is more interested than Mr. Arthur Whiting who has for some years given series of expositional concerts at Princeton, Yale and Harvard. One of the foremost of American composers, and a member of the National Institute of of Arts and Letters. Mr. Whiting is unusually well-equipped to engage the attention and win the appreciation of his audiences; and he has succeeded regularly in accomplishing both of these feats--playing himself and drawing for accompaniment upon a wide variety of additional talent.

Everyone who has followed Mr. Whiling this season on his expository excursions into the music of France and Hungary and Germany knows his planistic skill as well as the judiciousness of his selections. It is not an exaggeration to say that his audiences of this winter will look forward with no little anticipation to his return next year.