LAWRENCE TO SPEAK ON THE MINISTRY MONDAY

COPELAND CONSENTS TO CHANGE HIS READING DATE

The third of a series of vocational talks arranged by the Committee on the Choice of Vocations will be given by the Right Reverend William Lawrence '71, Bishop of Massachusetts, who will speak on "The Ministry and Its Opportunities" Monday, March 24, at 7.30 in the Living Room of the Union. The meeting is open to members of the University and their guests.

Bishop Lawrence, one of the most notable graduates of the University, has had a long and distinguished career. After receiving the Bachelorship of Sacred Theology in 1875, he immediately entered the Episcopal Church and became rector of Grace Church, Lawrence, Mass. In 1884 he gave up this position to become professor of Homiletics and Pastoral Theology at the Episcopal Theological School in Cambridge, where he remained until 1893. In that year he was consecrated bishop of Massachusetts. Ever since then, outside of his official duties, he has devoted his time to historical studies and the writing of numerous books. He is the author of such treatises as "Life of Amos A. Lawrence", "Proportional Representation in the House of Clerical and Lay Delegates", "Life of Roger Wolcott, Governor of Massachusetts", and a "Study of Phillips Brooks".

He received his degree of S.T.D. at Hobart College in 1890, and at Harvard in 1893, and was awarded honorary degrees of L.L.B. at Princeton and at Lawrence University, and of D.D. at Durham, Yale and Columbia. Besides being a member of the Massachusetts Historical Society, of the Colonial Society of Massachusetts and a life-member of the New England Historical-Genealogical Society, Bishop Lawrence is the chairman of the trustees of St. Mark's and Groton and the president of the Church Pension Fund. Ever since 1913, he has also been Fellow of Harvard University.

Preceding his lecture, Bishop Lawrence will be the guest of honor at a small dinner at the Union. The announcements of the conferences supplementing Bishop Lawrence's speech will be made shortly.

Bishop Lawrence was originally scheduled to speak next Wednesday, but because Monday was a convenient date for him, Professor Charles Townsend Copeland '82, consented to shift his Reading to Wednesday evening.