POLO DEFEATS PAVE WAY FOR SPRING VICTORIES

Beaten by Yale, Army, and Norwich in Winter Season, Team Gains Valuable Experience for Outdoor Work

Although the University pole team went down to an overwhelming defeat against Yale last Tuesday evening in the final intercollegiate match of the indoor season, the results have been very satisfactory for the first year of polo as an organized sport, and the winter's training of the team forecasts a more sucessful record in the approaching outdoor season.

When the Crimson team succeeded in holding the championship Yale trio to a margin of a half-point in its first encounter with the Blue, it made its most notable achievement of the winter. In the other games with West Point and Norwich a defeat was likewise chalked up against the University. Captain S. F. Clarke refused to suggest any alibis for these defeats but he is optimistic about the outcome this spring. Polo's status as an officially recognized minor sport will aid materially toward developing a successful team.

Captain G. E. Kent '25 is easily one of the best players in collegiate ranks today, and has been high scorer for the squad. F. D. Stranahan '26, J. H. G. Pell '26, and G. J. Farrelly '26, are the other members of the squad who played against Yale.

Must Play Together

"The team has not played together long enough" said Captain Clarke recently, "and they are very temperamental. In some of their games in the Commonwealth Armory against crack military outfits, they played like whirlwinds, and the next day they went to pieces.

The University team used ponies supplied by G. M. Carnochan '14, in their match with Yale. Mr. Carnochan is an enthusiastic advocate of polo, having a been a member of the team that won the class C. championship in the recent tournament. According to Captain Kent, the team was mounted on the best ponies in the tournament. Yale was the only college team using its own ponies.

Mr. Carnochan is now trying to form a Harvard Polo Association among graduates of the University similar to the graduate organizations at Yale and Princeton, for the purpose of advancing polo as a sport here in the University. They plan to become members of the Indoor Intercollegiate Polo Association, and to handle the affairs of the University with that Association. Life membership in the Harvard Polo Association will be $100 and yearly dues $10.

The team will make strenuous efforts to have a successful outdoor season, although the only matches scheduled so far are those in the outdoor intercollegiates to be played somewhere on Long Island May 3 to May 17. Efforts will be made to arrange a game with Yale to be played on Soldiers Field Commencement Day.

In the upper bracket of the outdoor intercollegiates are West Point, Norwich, Yale and Pennsylvania, while Harvard, V. M. I., Cornell and Princeton are in the lower bracket. The University of Arizona and Stanford University will play a tournament in Los Angales, the winner to come East for a three day tournament the week of May 25 with the winner of the Eastern College Championship. The winner of this tournament will challenge the championship English College team to a tournament to be played this summer either here or in England.

The team will begin its preparation for the outdoor season with a trip to Pinehurst, N. C., during the Easter recess. Games will be played there with the University of Arizona, champions of the southwest. While a definite date has not been made, the Dedham Country and Polo Club will probably be the scene of practice three afternoons a week, with frequent clashes with the team at Dedham. At a dinner next Wednesday at the Club, plans regarding the use of the Club by the University poloists will to announced.

Since polo is fully recognized as a minor sport all men in the University are eligible to compare for the team, and Captain Clarke has announced that there will be adequate facilities to accommodate all men who report, the War Department having agreed to furnish additional ponies if they are needed.