The Better Path

Communications

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Must Phillips Brooks House look on its environment as one comparable to a busy, inherently selfish city? True; college is selfish in that the sincere student comes realizing that he is about to devote four of the best years of his life to the process of analysing his own personality and directing it into such channels as will develop his peculiar talents and capabilities to the utmost. But this is not the whole story: If it were, each one of as would go forth to an enlightened hermitage. All this attention to self is subordinate to a more fundamental urge the desire to express that self in relation to others; to prove to the world that we in seeking known! edge rather than more immediate and spectacular benefits, have chosen the better path to real happiness and success, which is realized in the broader and more sympathetic contacts with the world. We choose our extra-curricular activities with a view to meeting our individual needs in the process of fulfilling that desire. In this capacity, who can say that Phillips Brooks House does not have as great a potential appeal to the prospective Harvard student as does the hope of winning a berth on the University football team? HRUN W. KIN '25