A MAN OF IRON

In spite of objections on aesthetic grounds--that John Harvard is a bit too high or a little too low or what not--his new position in front of University Hall creates an unusually pleasing and dignified effect Those skeptics who seek for some dark design on the part of the authorities in ending the Founder's "splendid isolation" in the Delta ought to find in the artistic success of the adventure a satisfactory answer. Although it must be apparent that while in the old, ruthless days, the contiguity of the statue to Memorial inspired coats of red paint and so on, it's present surroundings would not permit even the most barbaric to ruin the beautiful harmony.

There is a certain amount of speculation rife, however, as to what will take John Harvard's place in the ravished and forlorn Delta. Harvard has no familiar animal, such as might readily be suggested at other places, to place upon a pedestal. And suitable statuary--or indeed any kind of statuary--is rare about the University. The Discobolus in front of the Hemenway gymposium and John Harvard comprise the whole outdoor contingent. There would undoubtedly be insuperable obstacles but some patriot might reasonably drag forth one of the excellent figures in the Germanic Museum--which seems never to be visited--and place it on the former site of John Harvard. Probably it would dissolve in the next spring shower; but something is needed to relieve the present desolation.