WENDELL TROPHIES SHOWN AT LOCKER BUILDING

"STARTED TRACK ATHLETICS AT HARVARD"--MORISON '83

A large trophy case, filled with the medals, cups, badges, and other trophies won by and presented to Evert Jansen Wendell '82, one of the greatest track athletes of all time, has been unveiled in the Track Room of the Locker Building on Soldiers Field. The case occupies the whole end of the room.

A dozen or so beautiful trophies, the largest of which is a decorated silver plate, presented by the members of the Oxford and Cambridge Universities Athletic Clubs in remembrance of their visit to America in 1901, fill the center section of the case. Another of this group is a tall cup, which Wendell won for performing the remarkable feat of running the 100-yard dash in 10 seconds flat, long before the advent of the crouching start. Besides these and many medals for winning places in various meets, there are several dozen badges presented to him for officiating at athletic meets as referee or timer after his days as an active runner.

Wendell Started Harvard Track

"Evert Wendell really started track athletics at Harvard," Mr. George B. Morison '83 told the CRIMSON reporter. Mr. Morison, a member of the same track squad as Wendell in 1882 and also a member of the football team for three years, is now president of the Harvard Varsity club. "Wendell," he continued, "by the greatest possible enthusiasm and spirit got every one else interested in track. His power of leadership, genuine zest for competition, and ability to communicate his enthusiasm to others meant everything to track athletics at Harvard.

Begins "Golden Age" of Victories

In 1879, the year he entered college, Wendell won the 220-yard dash at the Intercollegiates. The following year at the same meet he captured three first places, in the 100-yard, the 220-yard, and the 440-yard dashes. That year and the next six in succession Harvard won the Intercollegiates, creating what was called a "golden age". Ellery H. Clark '96, member of the track team for three years, attributed this success to the construction of a new track on Jarvis Field and to the appearance in the college of Wendell.