TRACK STARS BREAK INTO PENN SCORING

His 46 Feet 1 1-4 Inch Heave Bettered Only by Hills of Princeton--Carpenter and Greenidge Place High

For those who have been lamenting the flagging fortunes of Harvard track teams in recent years, the performance of Coach Farrell's athletes in the Penn Relay Carnival on Saturday marks a turn in the luck of the Crimson trackmen.

For years Harvard has been forced into the background at the Philadelphia track classic by its more powerful college rivals. But on Saturday the squad from Cambridge succeeded in putting Harvard back into the front rank among contenders for college track honors.

Milers Deserve Credit

Of the seven men who succeeded in winning places for the Crimson, by far the greatest credit goes to those four who raced through to first place in the four-mile championship relay. It was the first time that the University had won a relay championship over this distance since 1901, and over any distance since 1916. But as the four University milers, Chapin, Tibbetts, Cutcheon, and Watters, romped through the distance to an easy victory over crack teams from Cornell, Columbia, Georgetown, Penn, and B. C., it seemed as if they had been in the habit of pulling down intercollegiate championships for years.

Eastman Betters Former Heave

Eastman also plucked considerable laurel for the Crimson crown when he took second place in the shotput with a heave which was bettered only by Hills, Princeton's husky weight man. Eastman's distance, 46 feet 1 1-4 inches, was better by four feet than his toss in the Relay Carnival last year,--an ample proof that his old football injuries will not keep him from becoming a sure point winner for the University during the spring, and a possible Olympic contender in the summer.

Greenidge and Carpenter Better

Similar encouraging improvement was noticed in the work of Greenidge and Carpenter, the remaining two Harvard athletes to place on Saturday. Carpenter took third place in the discus with a throw of 133 feet 9 1-2 inches, nine feet better than his best heave a year ago. And Greenidge, placing fourth in the javelin, threw his spear 176 feet 5 1-8 inches, a remarkable improvement over his distance last year,--166 feet 10 inches.

Quarter Milers Lose

The chief reverse for the University came in the one mile relay, where the best running of Harvard's picked quarter milers,--Browne, Kane, Robb, and Allen,--could not keep the Harvard team from trailing far behind the Virginia, Yale, and Holy Cross runners. A bad position at the starting line and a poor get-away accounted in part for the Crimson's failure to place. But a still greater cause was the phenomenal running of Bohannon, Virginia's anchor man, and Chapman of Yale, who streaked ahead to first and second place despite Allen's valiant effort to catch up.