RADICAL SENTIMENT CROPS OUT AT UNION

Foster Also May Join Invasion of Ultra-Liberals--Feel Students Have Had Too Conservative a Diet in Past

Such ultra-liberals as Debs, Nearing, and Foster, may speak at the Union in the near future as a result of the agitation of the Undergraduate Committee for more liberal speakers. A special committee was appointed yesterday to discuss the matter, and to come to some agreement on which, if and, of the men proposed should be invited to the University.

It has been known for some weeks that the Undergraduate Committee of the Union has urged this step. With its sanction, the names of Eugene V. Debs, the socialist leader who was thrown in to prison during the War, Dr. Scott Nearing, the radical professor who was forced to leave the University of Pennsylvania when the United States entered the War, and W. Z. Foster, leader were proposed at a recent Board meeting, but were provisionally voted down. It is understood that through the insistence of the Undergraduate Committee, the present new committee on speakers was appointed by the Board.

Topo Much Conservation

The members of the undergraduate Committee have taken their present stand with the feeling that throughout the year, only conservative speakers have spoken at the Union, and that the members of the University should be given an opportunity to hear the other side. They feel especially that a capable socialist should be invited to make an address. And that in the future all shades and colors of opinion should be represented. Not one, they say, should be barred from speaking on account of radical views. Nearing stirred up considerable interest and enthusiasm in an address at Dartmouth which they contend, is ample proof that undergraduates here as well are anxious to hear what this leading socialist has to say. has not been announced, but it will consist of two members of the Governing Board, two from the Undergraduate Committee of the Union, two from the Faculty, the President or one member of the Student Council, and the undergraduate vice-president of the Union. It is expected that this committee will effect some compromise satisfactory to both factions. John L. Lewis, head of the United Mine Workers of America, may be the compromise speaker. But it is doubtful whether the Undergraduate Committee of the Union would accept him alone as the only liberal speaker to be invited to the Union this year.

Lamont Declines Comment

Corliss Lamont '24, undergraduate vice-president, who is strongely in sympathy with the stand taken by the Undergraduate Committee, was questioned by a CRIMSON reporter last night concerning the situation. "I have nothing to say" said Lamont "until after this committee on speakers meets in the near future." When asked if he thought it possible that an agreement would be reached on a compromise speaker without difficulty, Lamont refused to make any statement.

The Governing Board of the Union is composed of George Wigglesworth '71, President; Corliss Lamont '24, Vice President; C. P. Fordyce '23, Secretary; and Delmar Leighton '19; D. K. David '19; Matthew Luce '91; D. M. Little Jr. '1`8; a. d. Welton '22.

The Undergraduate Committee, which is solidly behind the liberal speaker movement, includes Corliss Lamont '24, Chairman, N. S. Howe '26, J. G. Cushman '25, G. M. Hastings '25, R. G. Allen '36, and J. R. Hoover '24