UNIVERSITY EASILY RETAINS TITLE

Scores 5-2 Triumph Over Columbia in Play Off of Tle

Four of the five medals given for foils competition in the intercollegiates held at the Hotel Astor, New York, last week, and the only trophy, returned with the University fencing team. The three medals for the champion team and the medal for the runner-up in the individual championship accompanied the famous "Iron Man" which will resume its place in the Union for another year.

The only medal that the University team did not win was awarded to Bloomer of Columbia, who won the individual foils championship. Bloomer won nine bouts in all and lost the tenth to E. L. Lane '24, 5-2. He was defeated twice by University foilsmen in the team matces but piled up a large succession of points in the individual tournament. His victory left E. H. Lane '24, E. L. Lane '24 and Grandfield of the Navy in a tie for second place. In the fence-off, Captain E. H. Lane easily won the second-place honors.

Two days of fencing in the team matches left the University trio tied with Columbia for first place with 27 victories and 18 defeats each and Yale was next with 23 wins to 22 defeats. The navy, the Army and Hamilton followed in the order named. The fence-off was completed in half an hour, the University winning, 5-2.

After the contests were over, Richard Almy Durham '25 of Louisville, Ky., was elected captain for next year. Although not a regular member of the team, he won his letter by fencing Elwell of Yale in the intercollegiates.

Alfred Reginald Allen Jr. '26, of Philadelphia, Pa., was elected manager.

The individual scores in the team matches were as follows:

E. H. Lane '24 (captain) fenced 18 and won 14.

E. L. Lane '24 fenced 17 and won 13.

E. L. Lane '24 wenced 17 and won 15.

Roland Fleer '24 fenced 17 and won 3.

This summary of the fence-off with Columbia for the championship was as follows:

E. H. Lane '24 (H) defeated Fuertes (C) 5-4, Block (C) 5-1, and Bloomer (C) 5-2.

E. L. Lane '24 (H) defeated Block (C) 5-3, and Fuertes (C) 5-1.

Roland Fleer '24 (H) lost to Bloomer (C) 3-5, and the Fuertes (C) 2-5.