DEMOCRATS PUT THEIR OWN HOUSE IN ORDER

Underwood, Leading on First Ballot, Expected to Lose His Grip--This Evening May See Landslide for Smith

Several hundred enthusiastic Democrats made the New Lecture Hall resound with noise at the opening of the mock National Convention last night From the singing of the Star Spangled Banner to the end of the session, the delegates voiced their approval or disapproval in no uncertain terms and the interest of the speeches and balloting held the whole assembly tense for over three hours.

C. P. Morehouse '25, president of the Democratio Club, made the keynote speech which was greeted with wild applause. Calling Woodrow Wilson "the greatest hero of all time." he opened the session by outlining the principles of the Democratic party and the purpose of the convention. Philip Walker '25 was elected permanent chairman of the convention and telegrams from prominent Democratic leaders were read. The nominations of various candidates were made by the state chairmen, and their various qualifications discussed by the entire assembly.

Before the discussion of the platform which terminated this evening's session, the first ballott was held. After several votes had been challenged, the results showed that Senator Underwood had received 266 votes, Mr. McAdoo 200, Governor Smith 168, former ambassador Davis 146, and President-emeritus Eliot 106. This balloting will be continued to night 7.30 o'clock when the convention meets again, and further discussion of the platform will be in order.

The outstanding parts of the platform follow:

THE LEAGUE OF NATIONS

The Democratic party stands for immediate entry into the World Court as a preliminary to entering the League of Nations: regretting the loss of international prestige suffered by the United States through not doing so before, due to the disregard of expressed public opinion by the Republican Party.

TARIFF

The federal government can not rightfully impose tariff duties except for the purpose of securing revenue. The high Republican tariff is an instrument for the arbitrary redistribution of wealth. We pledge ourselves to a tariff for revenue only, arrived at by a gradual period of readjustment, downward revision of all duties beginning immediately.

LABOR

We stand for legislation regulating hours of labor and conditions under which labor is performed.

We are opposed to compulsory arbitration of private labor disputes.

NATIONAL DEFENSE

We favor all measures, either through the league or outside it, looking towards the concerted reduction of all classes of armament; but until such concert is reached among the nations, we favor the maintenance of our national defenses and condemn the Republican Administration for its neglect of our military and naval establishments.

TURKEY

We pledge ourselves to the maintenance of the capitulations in Turkey, and are opposed to any new treaty, such as that recently negotiated by the Secretary of State and now before the Senate, subjecting American citizens to the jurisdiction of the corrupt and stagnant native Turkish courts.

THE CONSTITUTION

The Democratic party will take positive action to guarantee the strict enforcement of the 18th Amendment.

THE BONUS

We believe that all persons suffering from disabilities due to service in the World War, should receive financial and medical help, so long as their disability exists.

TAXATION

We firmly believe that the national income tax should be so levied as to correct inequalities in the incidence of other taxes.

Tax exempt securities must be abolished