THE SOVIET PANTS

In the course of her existence, England has as stimulated every thing from Normans to gin, and quietly turned reforms inside out and revolutions upside down. Her latest achievement has been to invite four Bolshevists of the Soviet delegation in London to King Geroge's levee.

There is a subtle humor in the invitation which goes unnoticed by the Bolshevists, who are reported to be in a furor of excitement as to the proper costumes for such an occasion'. Dress suits have been suggested, but knee pants and swords have met with even more favor. And no one has thought to, mention beards and bombs. The civilization of the Soviet has been completed by allowing it to wait at the bedside of a king.

Carlyle was right-human nature is mostly clothes; and Bolshevists, as well as the African savage and the society flapper of either sex, can be dazzled by silk and glitter, and the chance to exhibit a well-shaped calf. Indeed it seems strange that diplomats and statesmen have not recognized the truth of this before, and spared their dignities and their heads by a well-earned distribution of raiment. The American has had his "red-cost", the Chinaman his Manchu queue, the English Cavalier his ground-heard the Frenchman his culottes Descending from the national level even the "Harvard hat" has been its own little storm, center of parental wrath.

It is easy to play then bandit sash and a visor; it is easy to be anarchist when, like Desperate Ambrose you possess a "veadetta hat". But to attend royalty in knee parts and yet remain that is a deferment matter. The had of King George has become indeed the ironical best result of human philosophy.