THE WIDOW'S MITE?

Although Scripture has it that small contributions given in the true spirit are more to be desired than all the ostentatious donations of the publican, members of the class of 1927 should realize that today is one occasion on which the Bible is not considered infallible. The University is broadminded and recognizes that different times make different customs; and besides, to be skeptical in matters of accepted belief is these days the height of originality.

The spectacle of the patrician turned for the moment into the beggar will be democratically moving, and should loosen many wallets. When the Seniors have removed themselves from the steps of Widener and have spread their traditional sheet to receive what manna may fall, all Freshmen, one hopes, will remember the honor of their class and rise to the spirit of the day with many clinking shekels. "And cursed be he who first cries 'Hold, enough!'"

A certain element of curiosity, also, should provide stimulus, if stimulus is necessary. In the old days the graduating class used the funds resulting from Freshman enthusiasm to finance a mad, glad celebration, with no holds barred, in the form of a picnic. No picnic was held last year, however, and what became of the money not used for the very mild entertainment that was staged is a dark secret. Rumor has it that the proceeds were devoted to charity, but then rumor is unreliable.

This makes the whole business a merry game, like the principle of the grab bag reversed. You throw money in and you haven't the slightest idea where it's coming out. If any further inducement is necessary to move the class of 1927 to whole-hearted, open handed giving, the fact that publicity will be accorded benevolence through a possible use of moving pictures should be particularly compelling.