WILL AWARD WADE AND BOYLSTON PRIZES TONIGHT

Latter Has Been Given Continuously for 107 Years--Ten Undergraduate Speakers to Compete in Sanders

Tonight at 8 o'clock in Sanders Theatre, the speaking for the Lee Wade and Boylston Prizes will take place. As a result of preliminary trials, ten men have been chosen to compete for the awards; and each one of these will be allowed six minutes in which to give his oration. F. A. O. Schwarz '24, will introduce the speakers and preside at the meeting, which is open to the public free of charge.

The Boylston Prizes were founded in 1817 by Ward Nicholas Boylston in honor of his uncle, Nicholas Boylston, who established the Boylston Professorship of Rhetoric and Oratory. These prizes have been awarded continuously for 107 years, and are one of the oldest institutions in the University. In 1915, the Lee Wade Prize was established by Dr. Francis Henry Wade, in memory of his son, Lee Wade II '14 who while in college was especially interested and took part in the contests for the Boylston Prizes.

Will Award $110 in Prizes

The Lee Wade Prize, which is for $50, and the two Boylston Prizes, which are for $35 and $25 respectively, are awarded by the President and Fellows on the recommendation of three judges. The men who will serve in this capacity tonight are Professor Manley O. Hudson G. '07, Professor of International Law, Assistant Dean Kenneth B. Murdock '16, and Dr. Francis Peabody Magoun '16.

The order of the speakers for this evening was determined by lot, and is as follows: "Pass Prosperity Around"  A. J. Beveridge Fred Ashton Videon '25 "Call to Arms and Liberty or Death"  Patrick Henry Joseph Fisher '24 "Speech at the Funeral of a Brother"  Robert Ingersoll James Harry Smith Jr. '25 "The Bells"  Edgar Allen Poe Arthur Gustave King '26 "The Necessity of Force"  John M. Thurston Paul Whitcomb Williams '25 "The Minstrel's Curse"  Ludwig Uhland Milton Arnold Kramer '26 "The Last Suttee"  Rudyard Kipling Alvan Ruckman Grier Jr. '26 "Revelation"  Robert Service Edward Adams Sawin '25 "Blainc--the Plumed Knight"  Robert Ingersoll Julian Hackett Weiss '25 "A Vision of War"  Robert Ingersoll