EIGHT STUDENTS IN SCIENCE WIN RESEARCH SCHOLARSHIPS

General Electric Company Gives $500 to Each for Special Study--Eminent Scientists Pick Them

The General Electric Company of Schenectady, New York, has just announced the eight winners of the Charles A. Coffin foundation fellowships, given in the fields of electricity, physics, and chemistry to United States scholars for research work abroad or at home during 1924-25.

This year's awards, which have just been announced, have been made to the following: R. D. Bennett, Union College and the University of Chicago; Ulric Bray, Emory University and Yale; G. H. Carragan, Rennsehier Polytechnic Institute and University of Chicago; E. W. Cheney, Dartmouth College and Brown University; R. C. Hensen, Baltimore Polytechnic Institute and John Hopkins University; C. T. Hesselmeyer, Leland Stanford Junior University; A. L. Dixon, University of Illinois; and W. L. Fink, University of Michigan. The last two men received fellowships for this year and these have been renewed for next.

The research problems in which they will engage include the X-ray-quantum theory; the Zeeman effect on fluorine; insulation with special relation to absorption; structure of steel with effect of carbon concentrated.

These fellowships, which amount to a minimum allowance of $500, are awarded annually to men who without financial assistance would be unable to devote themselves to research work. The committee which selects the men is appointed by the General Electric Company and consists of eminent scientists throughout the country.