REVOLUTIONS OR COOLIDGE?

Russia has passed out of existence. Such appears to be the case from the notice issued by the Russian postal authorities saying that the official name of the country is the "Union of Socialist Soviet Republics", which is to be abbreviated to "Ussr". They recommend that mall for Russia be so addressed.

But this case of "Russia" is only one of many that--through changes of name that reflect political changes--illustrate the great readjustment this decade has caused in the world. Russia becomes the USSR, St. Petersburg becomes Petrograd, and Petrograd becomes Leningrad. Czecho-Slovakia achieves unity and statehood. The Slavs of southern Europe get together, and Jugoslavia is a new reality with the high title of the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. Thus the old order changeth.

Thus--it should be amended--the old order changeth outside the United States. But in the national political life of the country there is a gentle conservatism--certainly soothing to one who has watched the kaleidoscopic changes of Europe and elsewhere.

The press can still give five column headlines to the Cleveland Convention, and speak of events there enthusiastically, while it delegates the French political crisis to the corner. Next year's prize editorial may be a repeater on President Coolidge. The vice-presidential nominee is hardly a "surprise". But so long as the American political machine is capable of producing nothing more interesting than its present output, the great American public will have to get its excitement from Russian revolutions. Nevertheless, this method of America's is probably the very best way to get rich, for revolutions and political kaleidoscopes cost much money. Perhaps this is why the Coolidge administration--such as it is has proved so popular.