RESIGNATIONS ANNOUNCED

Four Professors and Ten Other Members of Teaching Staff Leave University

Saturday night the report of the last three meetings of President Lowell and the Fellows of Harvard University announced the resignation of four professors and ten other members of the teaching staff of the University.

The resignation of Professor S. I. Bailey, G. '88, Phillips Professor of Astronomy for the last 12 years, and director of the Harvard Astronomical Observatory at Arequipa, Peru, last year, was accepted by the Fellows.

Professor H. L. Smith, professor of mining and metallurgy, and Director of the Mining and Metallurgical Laboratories, and Professor Howard-Lahey, professor of clinical surgery at the Medical School, have also resigned.

The resignation of Dr. R. I. Lee '01, professor of hygiene, was announced some time ago, but did not go into effect until the first of October. D. C. Parmenter '13, who has been Dr. Lee's assistant for several years, will take his place.

The following five members of the faculty of the Medical School have resigned: Dr. C. S. Beck, director of the Laboratory for Surgical Research; Dr. M. C. Sosman, Roentgen ray expert; Dr. Z. B. Adams, instructor in orthopedic surgery; Dr. Maurice Freemont Smith, assistant in medicine; and Dr. J. P. Powell '16, hygiene instructor.

Five college officers also resigned: Dr. M. N. Short G. '23, instructor in geology; and Mitchell Gratwick '22, K. T. Healy '21, K. N. Hill '24, and J. E. Merrill '24, proctors.