Lane Unearths Ancient Precedent for "Unprecedented" Halting of University Machinery by Eclipse of Sun

"The recent references in the CRIMSON to the 'unprecedented' fact that the College is to modify its appointments on account of the eclipse of the sun which is to occur on January 24, reminds me of an earlier eclipse 240 years ago when the College actually changed its Commencement Day in order to avoid an eclipse," says Mr. W. C. Lane '81, Librarian of the Widener Library, in an article for the CRIMSON relating an ancient precedent for the recent action of the University authorities.

"In December, 1683," Mr. Lane's article continues, "the Corporation had voted unanimously to entreat the Overseers in order that Commencement in the future be on the first Wednesday in July instead of on the second Tuesday of August which had then long been the customary date. A few days later it was discovered that on the first Wednesday of July (July 2) in 1684 there was to be an eclipse of the sun, whereupon the President, John Rogers, and two of the Fellows, Samuel Andrew and John Cotton, wrote to Increase Matlrer, the most influential member of the board of Overseers, calling his attention to the fact that on that first Wednesday in July 'will fall a grand eclipse of the sun which was not foreseen, or at least not thought of, at the last meeting of the Corporation. . . . How obstructive the eclipse will be as to the business of the Day is very obvious. We are not superstitious about it, but reckon it very inconvenient.' They therefore begged Mather to use his influence with the Overseers to have the date altered to the second Wednesday in July or to the first Tuesday, that is, July 1. The change was eventually made to July 1 but before Commencement Day arrived the President had fallen sick and Rev. William Hubbard of Ipswich was appointed to preside at the exercises and to confer the degrees. The President himself died the next day, July 2, the sun beginning to emerge out of a central eclipse.'

"A facsimile of the letter quoted is on file in the College Library, the original being, I believe, preserved in the Boston Public Library."