1928 FORWARDS FLASH IN BASKETBALL OPENER

LONG SHOTS PUT SCHOOLBOYS IN LEAD FOR SHORT TIME

The Freshman basketball team came fully up to expectations Saturday when it defeated Tilton Seminary 37 to 30 in the opening game of the season.

The visitors threw a scare into the first-year men in the second half when they caged a remarkable succession of long shots, and went into the lead. The Crimson teamplay and Slocum's uncanny shooting put the Freshmen back into the lead, however, and they were never headed.

Slocum and Baldwin, the two forwards, have been heralded as the best Freshman pair in several years, and they lived up to many of the nice things said about them. The former featured with ten goals from the floor, but Baldwin outshone him in all around play. He was in the thick of the play throughout, and showed a remarkable faculty for getting the ball from a scrimmage. His passing was responsible for many of Slocum's goals, but his own shooting was rather erratic.

The guards maintained a stubborn defense and the schoolboys failed to penetrate far into Crimson territory. Almost all their goals were on long shots from mid-court and beyond. Green's center play, apparently the team's chief weakness in the first half, showed a startling reversal of form after the intermission and became a big factor in the victory. He was effective from the foul line, dropping six attempts out of seven through the hoop.

Coach Drohan was forced to use his first string lineup throughout except for a brief substitution of MacCurdy at cen- ter. The reserves are still an unknown quantity, and Coach Drohan fears they may not prove very strong.

The summary:

HARVARD 1928  TILTON SEM.Slocum r.f.  l.f. Simpson, ThayorBaldwin l.f.  r.f. NovokouskiGreen, MacCurdy c.  c. Harwood, ThayerBarbee r.g.  l.g. RosenfieldMeisenbach l.g.  r.g. Woods (captain