IN BLACK AND WHITE

At the end of a long sea voyage the captain's log becomes a peculiarly fascinating document. The passengers themselves have lived through the days and nights so carefully recorded, but almost without comprehending the ship's progress; and a terse statement in black and white makes each hour's accomplishment more real. It is with just such a reaction that members of the University read President Lowell's annual report.

Essentially it is a log. There are no forecasts or hopes for the future. But if in avoiding this interesting and dangerous ground the report is slightly disappointing, it makes ample recompense by relating a commendable series of accomplishments. Certainly not the least of these is the history of the extension of the tutorial system.

Two years ago President Lowell reported on the system and spoke of it in terms that implied that it was still in need of explanation and defense. This year he can announce that all of the departments in the College are employing tutors except those of Mathematics and Physical Sciences--and for them it is obviously unfitted. Indeed, those changes are also being made which are necessary to allow its thorough development, such as the reduction of the number of courses required in the Senior year from candidates for distinction. The ardent advocate of the tutorial system is apt to be impatient that no further lightening of course requirements has been made, and is apt to balk at President Lowell's statement that: "There is no intention of gradually substituting tutorial work for courses of instruction." Yet in the light of the past what President Lowell has already accomplished in this field is a unique and brilliant record of achievement.

It is highly gratifying to learn that as these structural changes have been taking place the scholarship of the men who are studying under the new arrangements has steadily improved. If defense were necessary, there would be no need of further argument. There remains, however, one problem that is as yet unsolved. The transition from school to college was ever difficult, but with the tutorial system's requirement of greater maturity it becomes doubly so. The ultimate triumphant success of the system is inseparably bound up with this problem. President Lowell keenly appreciates the situation, but his report suggests no satisfactory remedy. Since, however, the great and primary work of building up the tutorial system is now nearing completion, the hope arises that this secondary Freshman problem will be the next to command the earnest attention, of President and Faculty.