OVERSEERS BANISH OLD CUSTOM OF ELECTIONS

FORMER SYSTEM IN VOGUE SINCE 1865

The Board of Overseers of the University will no longer be elected at polls in the Yard on commencement day, but will be chosen only by postal ballot. This decision, made yesterday by the overseers' committee, shatters a custom which has stood since its inauguration in 1865.

The postal ballot has been in use for three years, but the traditional polls in the Yard were still used so alumni who had not already voted by mail could cast their vote on commencement day. Last year only 165 men voted in the Yard out of a total vote of 7163. Inasmuch as the Yard polls seemed of little use now and required the time and work of several men on a day when it meant a sacrifice on their part, the committee recommended to the corporation that the ballot boxes should no longer be placed in the Yard.

The overseers' committee's report is as follows:

"The total vote for the three years has been divided as follows:   Postal  Commencement  Total 1922  7517  282  7799 1923  7092  166  7258 1924  6998  165  7163

"In no one of these three years have the ballots cast on commencement day changed the result of the election.

"While the actual expense of arranging for the alumni to vote for overseers on commencement day is nominal (probably not over $100) the trouble involved is great. The building where the balloting is done must be cleaned and cleared, balloting machines borrowed, and inspectors of polls appointed. These inspectors have to remain for hours at the polls, which is quite a sacrifice on their part.

"In view of the ample facilities given to the alumni to vote by postal ballot and the small number of votes cast on commencement day, your committee unanimously recommends that the commencement day balloting be abolished and that the alumni of the college be duly notified."