Saul Missed but Dunton Succeeds as "Wild Asses" Invokes Its Readers to Be "Culturally Sunburned" if Not "Tanned"

The question, recently broadcast by the Wellesley newspaper, "When Saul was sent out, to look for his father's asses, why did he neglect Cambridge?" is answered.

Saul may have overlooked us, but James Gerald Dunton '23 certainly did not. After four years apparently spent in becoming one of us he has written a book, "Wild Asses", which will be published on February 21, by Small, Maynard and Company.

"Wild Asses" is described in a preliminary announcement as a "novel of undergraduate life at Harvard University". The situations are all laid before the familiar background of the Yard and Harvard Square. The author takes up "parties, love affairs, crap games and philosophic discussions," whether in that order or not is left unexplained by the announcement.

But it is further stated that this is not only a picture of life at the University, but a criticism of it. Rlley, the inevitable sophisticated character who is always getting off some witty, or otherwise remark, announces, "Everybody nowadays is an ass; stupid, stubborn, uncaring, unheeding--animals--asses." Among the other "asses" are the typical athlete, the disillusioned war veteran with an inferiority complex, and several women, ladies and otherwise, varying from Beacon Street to manicure parlor types.

The book opens with a clarion welcome to the University which is expressed in somewhat different language from Dean Greenough's annual message to the latest Freshman class. Mr. Dunton cries:

"Enter to grow in Wisdom'! Come, Blunderbrats and Wild Asses Bask in the beams from learning's light And be culturally sunburned, if you can't be tanned."

Mr. Dunton has led a life filled with varied experiences. He was in France during the war with the ambulance corps, and served with distinction. After his return to the United States he entered the University and graduated with the class of 1923. Since then he has done some teaching of English in high schools, a little writing, and sold tooth brushes. And now he publishes a novel!