LARGE NUMBERS TURN OUT FOR WINTER TRACK SEASON

DUNKER AND HARWOOD ALSO SPEAK TO TRACK ASPIRANTS

Almost 200 candidates reported to Coach Farrell yesterday afternoon at the meeting in the Locker Building which opened the winter track season. This is the largest group of candidates which has reported for seven years and Coach Farrell seemed pleased, though not satisfied with the showing.

"It's a big crowd," he said, "but it's not the 500 that we want. You fellows each ought to bring out a friend, and if you can get 400 men out I'll guarantee we'll beat Yale. As it is, they've got the edge on paper, but we're going straight ahead, and I'll say right now, our chances are brighter than for several years to have a championship track team."

Coach Farrell also emphasized the importance of the inexperienced material in the development of the team. He said, "We have developed innumerable stars at Harvard out of men who never even saw a pair of spiked shoes before." Captain H. T. Dunker '25 also spoke a few words, stressing the point that this was "a year of big opportunity," and that "Harvard athletics had slipped a little during the past year or two." Coach R. W. Harwood '20 made a special appeal for more candidates in the pole-vault, an event in which the University was woefully weak last year.

The training table which starts today will include all the "H" men, and other members of the squad will be added from time to time as the season progresses.

The first objective of the indoor season is the B. A. A. meet, followed by the Triangular meet with Dartmouth and Cornell, and Intercollegiates.