HAGGERTY LEADS RUNNERS IN DEFEAT OF MIDDLEBURY

HAGGERTY PASSES LUTTMAN 25 YARDS FROM FINISH

The University cross country team splashed to an easy victory over Middlebury in the first meet of the season yesterday afternoon, 17 to 47.

E. C. Haggerty '27, waded over the finish line after running a great race to lead R. G. Luttman '28, to the tape. Luttman, who with A. H. O'Neil '28, starred on last year's Freshman team, did splendid work in his first University encounter and seems likely to be a champion before he graduates.

Coming down the last mile along the riverbank Luttman was in the lead, but near the Cambridge Boat Club, Haggerty began to draw even. Twenty-five yards from the finish the intercollegiate mile champion passed the Sophomore.

Captain W. L. Tibbetts '26, finished third, and Donald, the one Middlebury man who placed, followed the Crimson leaded over the line.

L. J. Novogrod '27, L. B. R. Barker '26,

Edward Gordon '27, and Peppino Portfilio '26, then spattered to the finish in that order. Of these only Novogrod and Barker figured in the scoring, as the first five men to finish for each team are the point scorers.

Haggerty's time was 30 minutes 10 conds, good under the atroceous conditions. The race was held over a new five mile course, the runners keeping to the riverbank almost the whole way along the Cambridge shore instead of running some distance from the river as formerly