MONODRAMA CHOSEN BY DRAMATIC CLUB

Modernistic Play Expounds New Theory of Monodrama--Tries to Bring Drama Nearer to the Audience

After considering some fifteen plays, three of which were undergraduate dramas, the Dramatic Club has finally decided to use a modern Russian drama for its annual fall production.

The play chosen is one written by Russia's most modernistic dramatist-producer. "The Paraclete," with the sub-title "for some a comedy, for others a drama" is a four-act play by Nikolai Evreinov. It will be translated from the original Russian text by W. L. Laurence '12, and will be directed by Edward Massey '15. Mr. Massey has directed the last few Dramatic Club productions with increasing success, and it is expected that the production this fall will meet with even greater approbation than has been accorded the other plays of the Dramatic Club.

Expounds New Dramatic Theory

The play itself is a semi-fantastic; semi-realistic drama of life and expounds Mr. Evreinov's theory, known as monodrama. This theory, which is entirely original on the part of Mr. Evreinov, was first put into practice in Russia just before the Revolution. It is one of the few "theories" which have survived the general turmoil which has been evident in Russia in the last few years. The whole idea which Mr. Evreinov tries to impress on his audience is that drama to be forceful and effective must come nearer to the audience than it does at the present time. The actor must express the very things that go on in his listener's souls. Mr. Evreinov claims that the theatrical instinct is as evident in the individual as the instinct of self-preservation, or even the instinct of sex. In order to bring this instinct to the fore it is necessary to make the actor as sympathetic and as emotionally real as possible.

"The Paraclete" carries this idea out in a somewhat modified vein. There will be a cast of twenty-four and the parts will afford a most interesting variety. The competitions for the club as previously announced. The try-outs will start next Tuesday, October 20, for parts in the play will be held on Thursday, October 22, in the Music Building. All men wishing to try out for the acting end of the Dramatic Club are asked to sign up on Wednesday in the Blue Book placed at Leavitt and Peirce's for that purpose, in order that the try-outs may be run off rapidly and smoothly. The acting candidates are expected to attend the preliminary open meeting as are all the candidates for the other departments.