GLEE CLUB TO SING UNDER KOUSSEVITSKY

Woodworth Now Training Men for Boston Performance With Symphony Orchestra Next Month

The University Glee Club will assist in the rendition of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, to be given in Symphony Hall Sunday afternoon, November 22, it has been announced by the Symphony Hall management.

The Ninth Symphony has not been heard in Boston since the Glee Club took part in the last performance, the 1924 performance under M. Monteux. M. Monteux, while he was conductor of the Boston Symphony, acquired an international reputation through his rendition of this work of Beethoven," said Mr. Judd, Assistant Manager of Symphony Hall, in a statement to the CRIMSON. "Recognized as one of Beethoven's very greatest works, it is heard perhaps the least of all, owing to the difficult problem presented in its production."

Turns Again to Glee Club

Besides requiring a tremendous orchestra, two choruses, and four soloists are needed. M. Koussevitsky who, as conductor of the Symphony Orchestra, will direct the production, has turned again to the Glee Club to supply the men's voices and to the Radcliffe Choral Society for the women's.

The orchestra will consist of 107 players, while the choruses together will number about 350. The four soloists who will be needed at intervals, throughout the last movement, have not yet been announced.

G.W. Woodworth '24, conductor of the Glee Club this year in place of Dr. A.T. Davison '06, is training both the Radcliffe and Harvard choruses in special rehearsals to the Ninth Symphony. The regular programs of the club are also being rehearsed on the usual schedule of three nights a week. The preliminary trails for the club have left 325 men in regular attendance at rehearsals.