HARVARD GETS MONEY FOR INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH

PROFESSOR WILSON CHAIRMAN OF FUND COMMITTEE

A Bureau of International Research has been established at Harvard and Radcliffe, through a large gift from the Laura Spelman Rockefeller Memorial, it has just been announced. It is planned that the Rockefeller fund be used, during a period of five years, to develop research of an international character and of an advanced nature, such as might not otherwise be undertaken.

The work is to be carried on by members of the staff of Harvard University and of Radcliffe, in charge of a joint committee of which George Grafton Wilson, Professor of International Law, is Chairman.

Members of the committee under Professor Wilson, governing the administration of the fund, are: Archibald Carey Coolidge '87, Professor of History; Manley Ottmer Hudson G. '07, Bemis Professor of International Law; Allyn Abbott Young, Professor of Economics; Ada Louise Comstock, President of Radcliffe and Dean Bernice Brown of Radcliffe.

"Though the establishment of the bureau has until now been witheld from publication, the grant for the fund was made some time ago," explained Professor Young to the CRIMSON last night. "Work in several directions has already been started, and is now under way."

Some of the subjects of research already undertaken or arranged are examples of the type of problems in the field under investigation: comparisons of decisions of national courts where international questions are involved; jurisdiction over coastal waters; allocation of public debts and other obligations, in case of the partition or cession of territories; Latin American relations; and the native African under self-government, colonial administration, and mandates.

In commenting upon the opportunities for development of such research made possible by the Rockefeller Memorial gift, President Comstock of Radcliffe, in her annual report soon to be published, writes:

"Such a fund not only makes possible considerable additions to the sum of authentic information regarding international affairs and interest, but also concentrates attention on this field of investigation, attracts new workers into it, and, in slowly widening circles, increases the number of those who seek facts as a basis of opinion on international questions."