YALE BEATEN FOR FIRST TIME IN THREE YEARS AS PRINCETON STRUGGLES TO TIE

Elis Bow to University of Pennsylvania Team for First Time in History--Maine and Bates Fall Easy Victims to Powerful Dartmouth and Brown Teams

While Harvard was going down before Holy Cross on Saturday, for the first time in history, Yale was meeting its first defeat at the hands of Pennsylvania.

The Elis, previous to their break with (Pennsylvania 34 year ago, had won 11 victories from the Red and Blue without a defeat. Moreover, Saturday's contest marked the first setback Yale has suffered since Captain Buell's Harvard eleven triumphed at the Bowl in November, 1922.

Princeton also met stiff opposition from the strong Annapolis team, and the Tigers were held to a 10-10 tie. Brown and Dartmouth future opponents of the University eleven, ran roughshod over weak opposition from two Maine colleges.

Pennsylvania 16, Yale 13

A fumble by Noble, Yale halfback, was the factor which checked a great Eli rally and insured Pennsylvania's victory.

Trailing 16 to 0 in the third period, Yale made a tremendous comeback which all but carried it to victory. With Cutler starring, the Blue team swept down the field to its first touchdown. At the opening of the forth session, Yale completed a forward pass which put it into scoring position.

Here came the fatal fumble by Noble Captain Wilson of Pennsylvania recovered only three yards from his goal line.

Another Eli fumble followed the Pennsylvanian punt to midfield, and the Jones machine could not get started again till the game was almost over. Then another long march ended in a score by Allen, Yale fullback. The game ended a moment later.

Not waiting to show its attack late in the game, but starting with a rip and a roar. Pennsylvania crashed through the famed Yale line for two touchdowns in the first half.

Kreuz Batters Eli Line

With Kreuz, battering fullback, bearing the brunt of the attack, Pennsylvania ploughed down the field in the first period, after receiving 15 yards on a penalty. Kreuz smashed through the Yale line time and again, and then Rogers, speedy Penn halfback, broke away for a long gain. Leith made the first touchdown.

Yale threatened in the second quarter, but Wadsworth's drop kick was blocked and Pennsylvania marched down the field again, Kreuz tailying.

Kreuz kicked a field goal in the third period for what proved to be the winning points.

Captain Joss of Yale played in his first game of the season, although he did not start the contest. Yale started two substitute backs, Wadsworth and Noble, but the injured regulars, Allen and Cutler, saw plenty of action. The Elis opened up their game in the face of defeat as much as the University did against Holy Cross, but only three of Yale's 12 passes were successful.

Princeton 10, Navy 10

With the breaks coming its way and with its star back, Slagle, matching Shapley, speedy Annapolis eleven. It was only by a desperate rally that the Navy managed to tie the Tigers, the touchdown that knotted the count coming in the final period.

Ewing Princeton's midget quarterback, booted a dropkick from the 46 yard line for Princeton's opening score. The ball struck the cross-bar and bounced over. Now a fast attack by the Navy backs led up to a field goal which tied the score before the first period ended.

Caulkins Intercepts Navy Pass

In the second period the Annapolis eleven appeared far stronger than Princeton, yet the New Jersey team was the one to score. After the Navy had marched down the field with surprising case. Princeton's big piece of fortune came in the shape of a misdirected forward pass. Standing on his 2-yard line. Caulkins, who had replaced Ewing, snatched the Navy toss and sprinted 95 yards before he was downed from behind. Bridges, husky Sophomore fullback, pounded over for a touchdown.

The Navy tied the score when Shapley caught a forward pass early in the last period and ran 35 yards for a tally, Shapley also kicking the goal.

Coach Roper again kept some of his regulars on the sidelines at the opening of the game, and the brilliant Slagle did not enter the contest till the Tigers were in the lead, 3 to 0. Last year Princeton defeated the Navy, 17 to 14, but this year's Annapolis team is heralded as the strongest team that has represented the bluejackets in several seasons.

Dartmouth 56, Maine 0

With Oberlander, last year a star in the Harvard-Dartmouth battle in the stadium, and Lane, whose playing featured the Freshman hockey team from Hanover last winter, doing the bulk of the carrying, the Indians won their fourth easy game Saturday. The big Green team will invade Cambridge next Saturday without having met a single opponent that has given it any kind of opposition.

The University of Maine eleven was powerless before the Dartmouth onslaught, but on the offense it had better success. Maine sandwiched four first downs of its own between the avalanche of Dartmouth touchdowns that crossed its goal line.

Coach Hawley kept several of his regulars on the sidelines, and uncovered a good quarterback prospect in Marshall, who played in McPhall's position the entire game.

Dartmouth's serial attack was very effective, although it was not started until late in the game. Six passes succeeded out of eight thrown.

Brown 48, Bates 0

Reviving from the blow dealt by Pennsylvania on October 10, the Brown eleven ran roughshod ever its second opponent from the Pine Tree State. Earlier in the season Colby was trampled under foot in the new Brown stadium, 33 to 0.

From a Brown standpoint the best feature of the game was the work of Jones, the new fullback. His linebucking ability was noticeable, and he shared the limelight with Dixon and Keefer, the brilliant Bruin halfbacks. Mishel kicked six goals after touchdown out of seven chances.