REVIEWER JUMPS ALL OVER FIRST LAMPOON

Gives Criticism With Good Heart and Refuses to Believe Former Bright Pallettes Have Dimmed

The following review of the current issue of the Lampoon was written specially for the Crimson by Nathaniel Choate '22, former Ibis of the Lampoon.

Of course it's a mean dig on Lampy to get me to tell the Crime what I think of his first-attempt. They know I am an arty, or think I am, but what's to be said of scrawls? You can't fool me into thinking all the talent is gone and that bright pallettes and nimble wits and dashing brushes can't crash through with better dope than Lamp's Freshman sample.

Literary competition is hard enough in this day of flourishing college papers, but artistic endeavor must be up against it unless they prove more than this.

However, Roebling's cover considerably cheers things up, artistically, and Lampy has a good overcoat anyway.

Lampy's not a young face about the yard, but he might be a lot more cheerful to welcome us; it's disappointing.

There is too much real wealth of gringo behind Lampy to let me think for a minute that this number is a fair example. To me it looks as though the Board forgot all about him until a day or so ago. I'm speaking of the art side, as that's my only rightful field of criticism. Puns don't sell magazines today, and no one has time to stop at a newsstand to read a story before buying the paper. The truth must out that you can't ask the college to subscribe for a year until you do your bit and give them what they want.

It's certainly very encouraging to see Saunders back. What a lot he's in for!

Lampoon Cradle for Artists

Come on, you Freshmen, and show Lampy what you have to offer. He's near 50 years old now, the oldest college funny paper; the father of "Life," the son of "Punch." There is no bigger chance in college for a young man wanting practical experience and training than the three years you get with Lampy's dummies. Lampy is the step for you from Standish to "Vanity Fair." How many real artists have grown from Lampy's cradle, and how superior they are, for the practical experience they acquired there.

You men from '29 are the logical ones to fill the need which Lampy shows. Lampy has long been known all about this world as the gayest college undergraduate; let him show the world anew that in spite of his flings he can still hold his own with his offspring!

I'm sorry to be jumping so heavily on you, Lampy, but I feel that sometimes you don't do yourself justice; and a little public criticism is no harm if given with a good heart.

Cheer up!