HARVARD SQUARE HARBORS MOVING PICTURES THEATRE

THEATRE WILL SEAT 2000--DOORS OPEN IN EARLY SPRING

Moving pictures are to invade Harvard Square for the first time in the history of the University, according to a statement made to the CRIMSON yesterday by Mr. Charles A. Newhall, real estate owner of Harvard Square property on which a theatre is under construction.

"It is expected that the theatre will be ready to open by March first," said Mr. Newhall. "It will be under the management of Mr. Charles E. Hatfield, who is organizer of the 'University Theatres, Incorporated,' and present Treasurer of Middlesex County."

Site Is Near College House

The theatre will have its entrance at 1434 Massachusetts Avenue, in the same block with the College House, opposite Massachusetts Hall. It will be capable of seating about 2,000 persons, and will have a stage fitted out and designed to accommodate any sort of play.

The policy of the theatre as outlined by Mr. Hatfield's management, will be to present moving pictures of the highest class possible, not combined with regular vaudeville.

"Suitable prologues or high class vaudeville may occasionally be added to a picture," said Mr. H. G. Sumner, representing the management, "but regular vaudeville will not be the policy of the company. The management intends to cooperate in every way possible with the wishes of the University office as well as of the students. Any of the University organizations wishing to make use of the auditorium for public performances will find us very willing to discuss the matter. As I understand it, this stage should fill a long-felt need in Cambridge."

According to Mr. Sumner, no expense will be spared in making every part of the theatre as up-to-date and as excellent as possible. A large lobby at the end of the foyer is planned, to serve as a smoking and rest room, and a theatre organ of the highest excellence is being sought.

No details as to the architecture of the building are as yet obtainable.