BLUE OFFENSIVE POWER SHOULD BEAT PRINCETON

Tiger's Hope Against Crushing Yale Attack Lies in Overhead Route--Eli Ends Alone Are Weak

Starting against Yale the same team that crushed Harvard last week, Princeton makes its final drive for the Big Three championship at New Haven this afternoon.

Only once since the war have the Tigers fought their way to a lone place at the top of the triangle. That was in 1922, when after topping Harvard at Cambridge 10-3, the Nassau eleven returned to New Jersey and set back Captain Jordan's Eli warriors, 3 to 0.

That year, as on many other occasions, Yale pushed the Orange and Black team all over the field, yet could not score. Princeton was on the defensive almost the entire contest, and triumphed by taking advantage of the breaks of the game.

No Waste in Blue Offense

The Tigers cannot afford to play this type of game this afternoon. For the last three years, Yale's elevens have overcome their tendency to waste the tremendous offensive power that Coach Jones has developed in nearly all his teams. The Blue has a scoring machine which should prove too much for Princeton if the latter attempts to play a solely defensive game.

It is in its forward passing strength that Princeton's hope lies. The Tiger line outweighs the Yale barrier, but the Eli forwards are reputed to be the strongest that have represented the Blue in years. Against Harvard the Princeton line looked immense, but a barrier with Joss, Sturhahn, and Richards as its mainstays is a different proposition.

The Yale backfield is heavier than the Princeton carrying quartet, and in running ability seems just about as powerful. Yale has no back so individually brilliant as Slagle, but Noble, Cutler, and Cottle are speedsters who should give the Tigers plenty of trouble. Dignan's line plunging ability has had great effect in Princeton's last two games, but with Sturhahn in the Yale line he and Bridges are likely to find difficulty in gaining much ground.

Yale's ends are the weakest part of the Jones machine this season. Before the Harvard game Princeton was supposed to be weak in this respect, but Lea and Moeser were strong against the Crimson and seem to have the edge over their Yale rivals.

In Sturhahn Yale has the outstanding lineman of the two teams, but it is in reserve line material that the Elis really have their biggest advantage. Yale's substitute forwards are exceptionally strong.

In reserve backfield material also Yale is strong. Lindley, Failing, Wads-worth, Foote and Fishwick form an array of substitute carriers that seem superior to Bridges, Beares, Ewing, and Prendergast, the Princeton second-string backs.

Both teams will be badly crippled should either starting quarterback be put out of action. Bunnell of Yale is a brilliant player who is indispensable to the success of the Yale attack, while Caulkins of Princeton plays a vital role in the Tigers' forward passing attack.