Pennypacker and Potter Support Piano Purchase Plan; Start Standish Drive for Common Room Furniture Fund

Henry Pennypacker '88, Chairman of the Athletic Committee and of the Committee on Admission and Brooks Potter '24, Head Proctor of Standish, are the sponsors of a plan to raise sufficient funds to furnish the Standish Common Room in a more comfortable way.

Letters have been sent to all former residents of the dormitory, 1250 in all, and Mr. Potter who is handling the finances of the venture, reports already encouraging response.

According to the sponsors of the plan, no demands for contributions will be made from the present residents of the hall. "We are appealing to the former residents, about 1250, which includes with only a few exceptions everyone who has lived here since the hall was built in 1915," Mr. Potter told a CRIMSON reporter, "because we feel that the expense is too great for the residents of any one year to bear. Also, I don't think that students during their Freshman year realize the need of a Common Room that is really livable. It is when they have left Standish, and the other first year dormitories that they realize what they have missed.

"The fundamental purpose of having the Freshmen living together," the Standish Proctor continued, "will be furthered considerably if our plan for making the Common Room more livable is successful. At present they are scarcely a unifying force within the class. President Lowell has told us that unfortunately the University has provided no funds for furniture in the dormitories, and so we are trying to raise the necessary money by subscriptions."

R. K. Kane '22, Head Proctor at Gore, has indicated that should the drive for funds prove successful at Standish, attempts would also be made to secure the support of former Gore residents.

No exact monetary goal has been set, but Mr. Pennypacker and Mr. Potter are hoping to secure about $2,000. This would be sufficient for the purchase of a good piano, rugs, Morris chairs, and other furnishings.