TRAFFIC COUNT REVEALS DANGERS OF SITUATION

Thousands of Cars Pass Through Square Hourly--Harvard Committee Must Find Another Thoroughfare

The traffic count made last week by 16 students in the School of Landscape Architecture clearly revealed. Harvard's traffic problem to the special committee that has been appointed to advise the Corporation on the situation.

Between 5 o'clock and 6 o'clock, the afternoon rush hour, 2.196 vehicles passed on Massachusetts Avenue in front of the Johnston gate. This tremendous number of automobiles makes it clear that the main problem confronting the city planners is to find another good road from the river to points north.

One of the most congested corners was that by the subway entrance on Massachusetts Avenue, in front of Walter Hasting's Hall. In the morning 1478 cars were counted at this point, and in the afternoon 1550 passed. These large numbers, according to the committee, which is composed of Professor H. V. Hubbard '97 and C. W. Eliot 2nd '20, emphasize the need of remedying the present situation that is making the pedestrian's path between the Yard and the New Lecture Hall more and more dangerous.