ROYALTY SNUBBED

After heaving a sigh of relief, Tut-Ankh-Amen can utter whatever is the Egyptian equivalent for "Thank heaven that's over!" and prepare to expostulate personally with the archaeologists who have been disturbing his rest for two years. There has been singularly little excitement at the news that he is finally to see the light of day. When his tomb was first discovered, front page stories ran riot. Feminine accessories at once took on an Egyptian character which might have made an ancient Egyptian ill but was good enough to satisfy the public. Vaudeville actors and professional funny men took as many liberties with "King Tut" as they ever did with prohibition. It was a glorious time for the Rameses family while it lasted.

Yet now the news of his forthcoming, formal entrance into society is taken very calmly. After looking in vain all over the front page, the royal clipping bureau has to content itself with a brief notice culled from among the news of debutante dances and stock reports. Unacquainted with modern psychology, this hopelessly old-fashioned Pharaoh bungled his entrance. His fame preceded his person and died so long ago that it is now even more ancient than himself. It is too bad they did not have expert publicity agents in old Egypt.