EDITORIAL COMPETITION TO START THIS EVENING

COMPETITION TO LAST A LITTLE LESS THAN TEN WEEKS

The second competition for the CRIMSON editorial board, open only to Juniors will start tonight with a meeting of all those interested, at 7 o'clock in the CRIMSON Building. W. I. Nichols '26, expresident of the CRIMSON, will address the meeting, and the Editorial Chairman will explain the requirements of the competition.

"More may be gained from a CRIMSON editorial competition than from any one course in College," said R. F. Bradford '23, third-year law student and former Editorial Chairman of the CRIMSON, in a statement yesterday. For the benefit of those members of the junior class who are interested in doing editorial writing, Bradford gave the CRIMSON some impressions of his own competition.

"The work is about equivalent to that of an advanced composition course, and I can honestly say that I got more out of it," he continued. "The experience was particularly valuable in that it gave me the ability to read newspapers and get something out of them.

"The practice in writing on gleanings from the newspapers develops the 'daily theme eye,' which is to the writer what color values are to the artist; that is, the ability daily to see possibilities in and connect ideas with, seemingly insignificant subjects.

"There is no sort of writing that affords more enjoyment than editorial writing. As is not true in news competitions, where the style of the candidate is more or less standardized, in editorial competitions the candidate is given a chance to develop his own style, which he changes to suit different types of subjects.