AVIATION COURSE WILL BE REPEATED THIS YEAR

Flying Instruction Will Begin at M.I.T. on January 7--Lieutenant Thomas Is in Charge of the Work.

The government course in naval aviation open to Harvard men which has been conducted at M. I. T. for the pat two years will be repeated this year, and is scheduled to open with an illustrated lecture on January 7, it was announced last night.

Lieutenant R. D. Thomas chief of the United States Naval Reserve Air Station at Squantum, will be in charge of the course this year. Lieutenant Thomas received the Shift Trophy for Safe Flying, which was recently presented by President Coolidge. He is credited with flying 500 hours without accident last year, the best record in the history of the naval air service.

Open to All above 18

The course is open to all members of the University over is years of age. It is made up of a series of lectures, two each week, lasting into May, with intermissions for the midyear examinations and the spring recess.

During the summers here are two six-week training periods, the first of which is held at Squantum, and the other at Hampton Roads, Va.

The men of the highest standing in the ground school courses will be eligible for the actual flying instruction at Squantum.

Last year 25 men were "checked out" and given 30 hours apiece of "solo" in Navy planes. The enrollment for ground school two years ago was only 25, but jumped to over 100 last year. This winter about 200 applications are expected. The growth of the success and pleasure of flying is a big drawing card and the popularity of the course is gaining by caps and bounds.