NEW CHAIR IN AMERICAN GOVERNMENT WAS NAMED FOR WASHINGTON'S RIGHT HAND MAN

Many interesting sidelights on the character of Jonathan Trumbull, revolutionary Governor of Connecticut, whose name the new University professorship in American government bears, are to be found in a short sketch of Trumbull's life, published in the current issue of the Alumni Bulletin. Parts of the article are printed herewith:

"Jonathan Trumbull who is thus honored was born in Lebanon, Conn., October 12, 1710, of stock that had been American since 1639. After an education undertaken at home and by the local pastor, he was prepared at the age of 13 for Harvard College, where he was ranked, according to the custom of the time, twenty-eight in the order of the prominence of his family among the 37 members of the class of 1727. It is interesting to observe that the young Trumbull gained social distinction so rapidly that in 1756 his son Joseph ranked second at Harvard, and that three years later Jonathan Jr. attained the height of first.

Studies Ministry Three Years

"After finishing college, Trumbull devoted three years to study for the ministry: but the loss of an uncle at sea just, when Jonathan was about to accept his first call, and the needs of his father's growing mercantile business, changed his choice of profession and he became a farmer-merchant.

"In 1733 he was elected to the Connecticut General Assembly.

"In 1768 he became Governor, and held that office through all the difficult days to follow until he resigned it, voluntarily, in 1783. It has been said that his administrations were so satisfactory that it became 'a rare thing to see a counting of votes.' Trumbull was so averse to anything that suggested personal advantage that he once sent a message asking for the repeal of a law, passed without his knowledge or desire, which bestowed the title of His Excellency on the Governor. He observed, among other things, that 'High sounding Titles intoxicate the mind, and 'It is Honor and Happiness enough to meet the Approbation of Heaven, of my conscience, and of my Brethron.

"At the outbreak of the war Trumbull was the only governor who was neither an appointee of the King nor a Royalist at heart. This single exception gave Connecticut a peculiar advantage, and, at the same time, made her subject to unusual calls for men, money, and materials. From the beginning Trumbull was in the intimate councils of Washington and other leaders. To the filling of Connecticut's quotas, to the supplying of materials, and to financial measures he gave his personal attention. A distinguished French nobleman once wrote of him:

Gave Name of "Brother Jonathan"

"He is over seventy years old, his entire life is devoted to affairs, which he loves with a passion, whether they be great or small: or, rather, there are none for him of this latter class." Indeed, neither business disasters which impaired his fortune, the bitter calumnies of a few political enemies, nor his private grief at the death of his wife and of his son Joseph, worn out in the service, could deter this stalwart patriot from giving the fullest measure of service to the cause in which he had a high and reverend faith.

"But there is a legend which attaches to his name an even more precious honor, that of being Brother Jonathan from whom our country takes its traditional name. Lodge's 'Life' of Washington' refers to him as 'Old Governor Trumbull, Brother Jonathan, who never failed to respond when a call was made for men and money, and upon whose friendship and advice Washington always leaned.' His career is briefly summarized by the inscription on his tombstone in the Lebanan, Conn., and cemetery:

"Sacred to the memory of Jonathan Trumbull, Esq., who, unaided by birth or powerful connections, but blessed with a noble and virtuous mind, arrived to the highest station in government. His patriotism and firmness during fifty years' employment in public life, and particularly in the very important part he acted in the American Revolution, as Governor of Connecticut, the faithful page of History will record.

"Full of years and honors, rich in benevolence, and firm in the faith and hopes of Christianity, he died August 17th, 1785, Aetatis 75.'"