The appointment of F. G. Mitchell, battery coach for the past two seasons, to the position of Head Coach of Baseball for a period of three years was announced yesterday by Major F. W. Moore '92, following the decision of the Graduate Advisory Committee on baseball, headed by H. R. Hardwick '15. The appointment of Mitchell fills the place left vacant by the resignation of E. W. Mahan '16 last summer.
Coach Mitchell who has been associated with the Boston and Chicago National League teams off and on since 1914 in the capacity of manager and coach will devote his full time to the Crimson nine next spring. During the fall practice this year, he was in charge of the team pending the definite naming of head coach. During the last two spring seasons Coach Mitchell has tutored the pitchers.
The newly appointed mentor is not unfamiliar with the duties of head coach, having acted in the same capacity in the spring of 1916. The following year, due to the World War, Harvard for the first time since the inauguration of baseball at the University, was not represented by a team. Mitchell's place was taken by Coach Duffy, also of the Braves, on the resumption of baseball in 1918.
In the single year during which Coach Mitchell was in full charge, he turned out a championship team, which was acknowledged as the best team Harvard ever produced, with the exception of one, since 1893. Out of the 25 games played, the Crimson lost only three and tied one. More notable achievements were two successive triumphs over both the Yale and Princeton teams. Princeton was defeated 9 to 5 and 5 to 1, while the Blue were beaten 4 to 1 and 5 to 2.
Mitchell started his baseball career as a pitcher with the Lawrence Club of the New England League in 1897. Later he played with both the Boston American team and the Philadelphia Nationals. He was later released to Toronto and it was while with this club that he discovered that his natural talent lay in catching rather than in hulling.
In 1912 he was purchased by the New York Americans and he was again released to Rochester, where he stayed until Stallings took over the Braves in 1913.