THREE BILLS AT STATE HOUSE AFFECT HARVARD

THIRD BILL SEEKS TO FREE HARVARD FROM STATE

Three bills are now before the Massachusetts State Legislature which directly affect the University, or members of it.

The most important is a bill sponsored by Professor Manley O. Hudson L. '10 and O. R. Rice '25, together with officers of the American Legion, the Grand Army of the Republic, and other patriotic organizations. It provides for a petition to Congress to pass the so-called universal draft bill.

This bill is now pending before the United States Senate-having been recommended by the committee on military affairs. Its most important prevision is that the President, in time of war, or when war is imminent, shall "determine, proclaim, and conscript the material resources, industrial organizations, and services over which government control is necessary to the successful termination of such emergency."

Aims to Prevent War

This plan, first advocated by the "Christian Science Monitor", has for its purpose the prevention of hasty entrance into war. "If people realize that war means universal conscription of men, money, and materials," declared Rice yesterday, . . . "with no opportunity for profiteering, they will be careful not to enter any war . . ."

Another bill of, importance comes before the House Committee on Education at 10.30 o'clock this morning. It is a petition signed by W. P. Exton '26 providing that all duly accredited scholars shall have access to any and all printed matter in Massachusetts libraries. It demands that in these cases the censorship rules, which now prevent free inspection of many books, be suspended. Professor A. N. Holcombe '06 has given his approval to the petition. The hearing today is open to the public, and any men who, wish to say anything for or against the bill are at liberty to attend.

The third bill now pending before the Legislature, is a petition recommending the annulment of Article 3, Chapter of the State Constitution, which gives the Legislature the right to advise and assist in the government of the University. The petition is drawn up by V. W. H. Bates '19 and sponsored by Representative A. F. Blanchard '04.