Students Swamp August's for Ties; Thrifty Men Try to Get Scarves or Underwear in Place of Extra Tie

That Harvard students are a thrifty lot no longer remains to be proved--at least in the minds of J. August and his salesmen. The firm's advertisement in yesterday morning's CRIMSON declaring that two ties would be sold for the price of one occasioned a large patronage from the student body.

That Harvard students are a canny lot also is now an established fact. Not satisfied with double value they confronted the salesmen with various surprising propositions. Instead of asking for the advertised two ties, frugal minded students would buy one tie and then ask if its equivalent price might be devoted to underwear or something else for Spring.

Others equally well versed in business economy would purchase a dollar tie and then choose one of the more expensive animal-on broidered scarves of three times the value of the original purchase. The third group was composed of those economical students who bought one expensive tie and then asked for several cheap ones whose price equalled the amount of the purchase. Needless to say all of these schemes failed.

Mr. August furthermore stated that undergraduates were not the only buyers. A number of men from the graduate schools were also in the ranks of bargain hunters. When interviewed, he was unable to tell the total number of ties sold, but declared: "There are far more thrifty students in college than I thought there were."