"PEDIGREED BUNK"

History has it that Yale was founded as a protest against Harvard's liberalism. Rumor has it that even the Elis of today are a grim set of hide-bound conservatives, appearances and escapades to the contrary. Now comes fact to substantiate rumor: Yale undergraduates of the future are to be limited as far as possible to descendants of Yale graduates. Ancestry, not scholarship, is to matter.

The queer-twist in New Haven logic comes when President Angell reports that the average grades of Yale men's sons are two-tenths of one percent higher than the grades of sons of non-Yale men-Dartmouth, Princeton, or even Harvard, perhaps? It looks very much as if Yale were not confident of this margin of superiority. If the sons of Yale men are indeed better scholastically, why apply any other test or qualification than that of scholarship? If they are not, what is their particular merit, or what their usefulness to a center of scholarship? The issue was discussed here last year; and the deservedly firm opposition to any such proposal is one very satisfactory proof that the spirit of liberalism can still find a place in Cambridge, if not in New Haven.