CALLS CRIMSON HARVARD SCHOOL OF JOURNALISM

IS ONE OF MANY FIELDS FOR COMPETITION

To almost every Freshman who enters Harvard, the one word of advice given to him by his advisers and friends in the upper classes of College is to "go out for something". This bit of advice has become one of the few and powerful traditions at Harvard, which has been handed down from class to class.

But the Freshman who accepts this advice has difficulty in following it. What shall he go out for? All during the first year, the bulletin boards at, the Freshman Dormitories are covered with cards announcing this competition or that. There are competitions for athletic managerships, for musical activities, and for the college publications. The printed announcements are brief and unsatisfactory. They bear the name of the activity, the hour at which the candidates are to assemble, the length of the competition, perhaps, and little more. The Freshman picks some activity quite at random, finds after a few weeks that he is quite unsuited for it, and drops it, perhaps too late to begin on some other activity more to his liking.

Competitions Start February 12

On Thursday evening, February 12, in the Crimson Building, will begin three CRIMSON competitions, open for the first time to Freshmen, for positions in the business, photographic, and news departments.

The CRIMSON news competition presents more interesting variety and less drudgery than any other competition in college. While candidates in most competitions will find that their duties consist of the same routine work, day after day, the CRIMSON news candidate will find before his 11 weeks' competition is over that he has done a little of everything. He has interviewed a famous actor or actress. He has talked football with the coach of a visiting eleven. He has reported important University athletic contests. He has covered fires and read police station "blotters".

A School of Journalism

The CRIMSON news department presents a miniature course in professional journalism. Learning the tricks of the trade does not stop when the competition ends. As Sophomore or Junior editors, members of the CRIMSON staff are placed on regular, salary, and have an opportunity to try their hands at editing copy, writing headlines, and superintending the work of making up and printing each day's paper.

By the Senior year, two editors from each class are selected to hold the position of President for the two half years, while for the other editors, positions are open for work in connection with the CRIMSON's dramatic section. "The Playgoer", and the literary section "The Crimson Bookshelf".

By the time that an editor has graduated, he is pretty effectively, grounded in the rudiments of journalism, and finds that he has little trouble in transferring from college journalism to professional journalism. The value of a CRIMSON training is well appreciated by those in charge of the metropolitan dailies, and former CRIMSON editors are to be found on the staffs of many papers in New York and Boston.