NEW HOTEL EVOKES HOSTILE SENTIMENT

Necessary Widening of Holyoke Street Would Be Impossible if Hotel Is Raised on Church Site

While architects have been busy finishing their plans for the proposed hotel on the corner of Holyoke and Mount Auburn Streets, hostile sentiment in the University has been growing. Yesterday Mr. C. A. Coolidge '81, Chairman of the University Planning Board released to the CRIMSON a chart of the future grouping of Harvard's buildings, showing how a hotel on the old church site will mar these plans.

Chart Covers All Changes

This chart, drawn up in 1922, but never before made public, is printed at the bottom of this page. With two exceptions the buildings shown in black are now in use; and those shaded are proposed for construction in the near future. The Holden Twins and the new Bursar's office, shown in the center of the map are already under construction, whereas the new chemical laboratory on the site of Boylston Hall and the Memorial in the center of the Yard are still on paper, although depicted as already built.

The left side of the chart shows the museum, laboratory and graduate schools district, with plans for new additions. The center shows the old Yard and its proposed revision, some of which is now operating. At the right is the Mount Auburn Street district and the present Freshman Dormitories, depicted black. The shaded buildings at the right form the so-called "New Yard" to build which is the chief ambition of the planners. In its present form the chart is tentative in that the shape and position of individual buildings are subject to change.

Would Clash With Club Section

As a connecting link between the old Yard and the "New Yard", the Planning Board feels that Holyoke Street should be widened into an avenue. The large ten-story hotel on the corner of Holyoke and Mount Auburn Streets would make any such alteration impossible. The hotel is also out of keeping with the Board's plans for the retention of the Mount Auburn Street district as a club section, an informal, but intrinsic segment of their proposals. Undergraduate feeling against Mr. Wyner's project is based largely on this second reason