TIGER CREWS HAMPERED BY LACK OF VETERANS

Weather Favors Workouts of Princeton Oarsmen on Lake Carnegie--Freshmen Still Row in Barges

Princeton, March 19. Handicapped by injuries, and by comparatively inexperienced material, the Orange Varsity eight has been working out on Lake Carnegie since the advent of mild weather a week ago.

Because of the loss of Heimrath, who was seriously injured in a motor accident some time ago, and the absence of Ballard, due to sickness, Dr. J. Duncan Spaeth, Director of Rowing, has been compelled to make several radical changes in the line-up of the Orange Varsity. At the present time, Clark, who was number 6 on the Freshman eight last year, is stroking the new port-rigged shell though Darnell and Thorne are strong possibilities for the same berth. Captain Dyer is in his old position at Low, and Kennedy is coxing again this season, but the other positions in the line-up are being filled by newcomers for the most part.

Present Seating Indefinite

The present seating is far from definite, as Dr. Spaeth is experimenting with the new port-rigged shells, and is making almost daily changes in the line-up with a view of developing new material by shitting the men from the positions to which they were accustomed at school.

All the men are in excellent condition as a result of workouts held daily during the winter on the machines which were established in new open-air quarters on the porch of the Gymnasium. Daily exercises conducted by Coach Foster of the University wrestling team were also instrumental in enabling the men to get in good shape before mild weather permitted them to take to the water. Practice under the eyes of Dr. Spaeth and Assistant Coach Charles Logo has consisted mainly of easy rows, and short sprints down to the Dam at the end of the Lake. As yet no races between the two Varsities have been in order.

The Orange and Black eights have been fining up as follows: Orange--stroke, Clark; 7, Thorne; 6, Forrest; 5, Van Gytenbeek; 4, Ball; 3, Magee; 2, Williams; bow, Dyer, C.; cox:, Kennedy. Black--stroke, Altken; 7, Goodman; 6, Hayden; 5, Deemer; 4, McConthe; 3, Collins; 2, Thorpe; bow, Loeb. No cox has as yet been assigned to the Black Varsity.

Freshmen Still in Barges

Four Freshman crews are also getting their daily workouts on Lake Carnegie under the tutelage of M. Baird '11, who captained the first 150-pound eight last year. Though the material on the whole is experienced, the 1928 coach has decided to make the change from the machine to the shells by having his proteges row in gigs for the present at least. The first Freshman crew is lining up as follows: Stroke, Stratford: 7, Langhorne; 6, Schaub; 5, Alexander; 4, Larse; 3. Wood; 2, Wilson; bow, Spruance; cox., Nevins