THE CRIMSON PLAYGORE

ESTEVE PRAISES "L' ABBE CONSTANTIN"

The following review was written by Professor Edmond Esteve, Exchange Professor of French Literature from the University of Nancy.

The Cercle Francais and the, Cercle de Mademoiselle could not have chosen for presentation to the public of Boston a more pleasing work than "L' Abbe Constantine," the charming comedy adapted by Cremieux and Decourcelle from Halevy's famous novel of the same name.

A dry synopsis can give but an inadequate Deak of this work of art, light, brilliant, always full of interest, delicately molded, replete with homeliness and the sincere religious feeling of the time. The dialogue is sparkling, admirably shaded, always true to life and full of verve and good humor. For a troupe of young Americans to interpret a play so preeminently French must certainly have presented countless difficulties. Moreover, the actors all deserve great credit for their performance last Saturday night. In the ensemble, they were eminently successful. The general movement of the performance was perhaps a little slow, an impression which was accentuated by the length of time between the act. To the Frenchman, there were many intonations in the language of the actors that were not entirely French. In two roles, however, this slight accent was most appropriate, since they were supposed to be Americans. Outside of these few criticisms, unlimited praise should be given to the young girls for their intelligence, animation and discriminating taste, and to the young men for their ease, their stage presence, and the almost professional manner in which they rendered their several parts. The excellence of the acting of these young people is due in a large measure to M. Ernest Perrin, the coach of the play. He acted the titlerole of the Abbe Constantine with a finesse, a naturalness, and a delicacy that testify to his great ability. His understanding of the art of acting was exquisite, but in particular his understanding of that part was remarkable for its human sympathy, its tenderness, and its general appeal. I think I am the interpreter of the opinion of the public in exiting this beautiful performance which leaves in the memory of those who had the good fortune to see it--and I wish they had been far more numerous--a very been and agreeable recollection.