CRIMSON OARSMEN TRIUMPH IN QUADRANGULAR REGATTA

Pennsylvania Wins Both Junior University and Freshman Races With Harvard Next

Scoring the most momentous crew triumph in five years, the first University eight swept the Charles in the feature race of the Quadrangular Regatta on Saturday, with a crippled Pennsylvania outfit, M. I. T. and Cornell finishing in order. Not since 1920 had a Crimson crew finished ahead of any eight except M. I. T., and until Saturday Cornell's record had remained unblemished by a Harvard defeat since 1916.

In the Junior University and Freshman races, the Red and Blue oars of Pennsylvania earned decisive wins, with Harvard second, M. I. T. third, and Cornell fourth. These races were shortened to the Henley distance because of rough water, and the Quaker eights displayed a powerful and a finished stroke in coming through a winner in both of these races.

Start Delayed Until 8

It was not until 8 o'clock that the boats lined up to wait for the gun to start the final race on Saturday, for rough water had necessitated the postponing of the starting time. Cornell was left a length behind in the first hundred yards after the starting signal, and although Coach Haines Technology outfit made a strong bid to stay in the race for a time, it was evident that the contest lay between the Crimson and the Red and Blue crews.

Matching stroke for stroke, the two eights swept down the course, with Captain Kelley's boat maintaining a slight lead. Although Pennsylvania for years has been noted for her sprinting crews, the Harvard eight equaled each Pennsylvania sprint, and at no time did the Philadelphia oarsmen assume the lead of more than a few feet.

Penn No. 6 is Crippled

Shortly before the Henley distance was reached there occurred the accident which effectually squelched Pennsylvania's chances. The oar-lock of Reeve, rowing at seat six in the Quaker shell snapped off, resulting from what appeared to be a crab, and after a few strokes, he let his oar go overboard, attempting for the balance of the race to pass the beat to the oarsmen behind him, going forward and backward on his slide with each stroke.

The time for the winning Crimson shell was 9 minutes and 11 seconds, which established a course record for the new lane in the Basin. Coach Brown's championship Class crew negotiated the distance in 9 minutes and 17 seconds last year, and until Saturday this stood as the record.

Penn 1928 Boat Fast

In annexing honors in the Junior University race, the Pennsylvania eight covered the Henley distance in 6 minutes and 51 seconds, which bettered the course record by four seconds. Coach Stevens first boat rowed the Henley in 6 minutes and 55 seconds last week while making a time trial over the mile and three-quarter course. The winning Red and Blue 1928 boat made the remarkably last time of 6 minutes and 54 seconds. Pennsylvania won premier honors at Poushkeepsie last year for first year crews, and with the 1928 eight which exhibited such good form Saturday competing this year, she bids fair to repeat the trumps.

Coach Stevens expressed his deep regref over the accident to the Pennsylvania boat. We were not as smooth as Pennsylvania", he said yesterday in commenting on the races, "and we did not have the finish they had. This is because we are much further behind in our development than they are, and because they stress and early season crew while we are continually pointing to the New London race.

Weather Better On Schuykill

"Other advantages which the Pennsylvania crews have had are much more favorable weather conditions on the Schuylkill than exist on the Charles, and the experience of more racing. They have two crews which are about equal, and they have raced them frequently against each other. Yet, in spite of all this, they didn't outsprint Uss. That pleased me more than anything else.