FOOTBALL TEAM HAS SPRING SCRIMMAGE

Hubbard and Greenough Added to Staff of Coaches--Team Studies New Plays and Offensive Methods

Another record was made yesterday afternoon when the football team scrimmaged after only a week of spring practice. The unusually cool weather has aided in their record and its continuance will insure practice until May 20 or even later.

Practice yesterday was taken up with scrimmage between the two teams, A and B. formed yesterday. This work was alternated with instruction in plays and the plays were run off at a rapid clip. The scrimmages were short and hard.

The coaching staff has been augmented for the time being by C. J. Hubbard 4E.S., who is aiding the second team backs, and M. W. Greenough '25, who is assisting in preparing the line of the second team. All other coaches except Coach Mahan, have been reporting daily at secret practice inside the Stadium.

Attack is being featured in the daily workouts, since the Crimson defense is felt to be satisfactorily strong. The type of the new plays remains unknown, however, shrouded in the secrecy which necessarily attends such early season experiments. Nightly meetings during the past fortnight between Major Daly. Coach Leary, and Coach Fisher have been chiefly occupied with the offense.

With such an early start in scrimmages, which is a great contrast to the short spring workout of last year, and the probability of scrimmages every other day, the season is more promising than for several years.

Among those engaged in the scrimmages yesterday there were 11 letter men and four Freshman numeral-winners. The division into teams yesterday means little for Captain Cheek was on team B. Adie, Dean, Gamache, Hoague, Lindner, Sayles, Stafford, and Captain Cheek were among the letter men in action. Callahan, Fordyce, Gallwey, and Shapiro were the Freshman numeral winners who took part.