HARVARD SONGS

The communication printed in the adjoining column calls attention to a matter which has doubtless occurred to many students. Harvard's collection contains some of the finest college songs in America. Written by Harvard men and called forth by some incident or occasion in Harvard's history, they form an integral part of that tradition which binds together Harvard men of all generations. And yet, how many students now in college know them? Aside from a few football songs, which are sung under conditions which make their music the least of considerations, few students are acquainted even with their names.

It might be argued from this that Harvard men are not musically inclined. But everyone knows this is not so. Students who haven't time to devote to the Glee Club are afforded an opportunity to learn and sing Harvard songs for the love of singing them. Now that the need is made manifest, the Union should step into the breach and provide this opportunity heretofore lacking. It should arrange for informal gatherings under the direction of a competent leader. Students would go to them for no other reason than because they wanted to go, and would spend an hour singing simply for the fun there is in it. A very limited canvass indicates that many students would enjoy spending an occasional hour in this way. Time yet remains to give some such plan a trial before the year ends.